Certificate in Paralegal Studies
Normal Program Completion Time: One Year
This program is offered at the Main Campus, online, evenings, and weekends.
Students pursuing a Certificate in Paralegal Studies learn skills specific to practical work as a paralegal, becoming knowledgeable in summarizing depositions, legal research, preparing legal documents, and interviewing clients. Through coursework, students learn the inner workings of civil litigation, real estate closings, and probate practice. Students also take an introductory course and two additional survey courses in Business Law. Entry-level careers as Paralegals / Legal Assistants may be available for students in a variety of law firms, corporate legal departments, the court system, government agencies, non-profits, and private industry.
The Certificate in Paralegal Studies is not designed to fulfill the educational requirements for any legal credential, such as a state law license or a paralegal certification.
Certificate in Paralegal Studies Program Outcomes
- Students will attain a professional level of organizational skills, including thinking, planning, and execution skills.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the team concept for the delivery of legal services.
- Students will attain a professional level of written and oral communication skills.
- Students will demonstrate skills in the use of technology in the delivery of legal services.
- Students will demonstrate ethical awareness and understand the concept of integrity.
- Students will demonstrate a comprehensive, practical understanding of subject-specific skills-based areas of practical legal work.
- Students will acquire knowledge of career opportunities in law firms, corporate legal departments, government, and non-profit settings.
- Students will demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of various specialized areas of the law.