Master of Science in Accounting
Normal Time to Completion: 22 Months
Normal Time to Completion: (With CPA Track) 22 Months
(Six CPA track 1 credit courses are taken concurrently with Master of Science in Accounting courses.)
The Master of Science in Accounting degree provides students with a practitioner-focused program that focuses on the advanced knowledge and skills required for employment and advancement in the field of accounting. It also assists students to fulfill the educational requirements for CPA licensure in most states. In addition to the technical accounting skills necessary for a successful career, students will obtain those skills necessary for advancement into managerial positions. Integral to each course is a theme of adherence to professional standards and ethics. Graduates will be poised for career advancement and may seek employment as a/an: auditor, accountant, financial analyst, and other managerial accounting-related positions. This degree program is programmatically accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs.
The Master of Science in Accounting degree is not specifically designed to fulfill Certified Public Accountant (CPA) licensure requirements in an individual state, however, the program can be used to partially fulfill licensure requirements. The program is also not designed to fulfill Certified Management Accountant (CMA) certification requirements, although the program can be used to partially fulfill these requirements (the other requirements can be found on the Institute of Management Accountants website: https://www.imanet.org/). Professional credentials vary by state and include requirements outside of education, which may include exams, background checks, work experience, and more. Post University does not guarantee licensure. It is ultimately the responsibility of individual students to be in charge of their own licensure process and to make sure that all requirements are met in obtaining licensure. Post University does not speak on behalf of any licensing board or body.
The following table shows whether Post University, with completion of the appropriate curriculum, does or does not fulfill the educational requirements for a specific license:
Certified Public Accountant Disclosure by State: https://post.edu/docs/cpa-disclosure-by-state/
Master of Science in Accounting Program Outcomes
- Students will critically analyze data driven accounting information and apply technology to support evidence-based accounting and auditing practices.
- Students will apply a global perspective to the application of entrepreneurial leadership and accounting principles.
- Students will promote the professional image of accountants by applying standards of practice within an ethical decision-making framework.
- Students will demonstrate the skills associated with business process management in accordance with the Malcolm Baldrige Criteria and the accounting profession.
- Students will demonstrate appropriate teambuilding and collaborative strategies when working with teams.
- Students will use written, verbal, nonverbal and emerging technology effectively when communicating, presenting, and disseminating accounting research and financial analyses.
- Students will apply leadership and innovation in strategic decision making for organizational planning and control.
The CPA Track within the Master of Science in Accounting with CPA Track is designed to assist students who want to become Certified Public Accountants and take the Uniform CPA Exam. The CPA Track includes an additional six credits in the form of six study labs that provide individualized study plans, preparing students for the Uniform CPA Exam. The labs are taken concurrently with courses in the MSA program.